JobsThank you for your interest in working with the Geffen Playhouse, Inc., an equal opportunity employer.
COMMUNICATIONS EDITOR JOB DESCRIPTION
The Communications Editor develops and edits written, photographic, audio and video content for distribution through ever-expanding communications outlets. Publications include the in-house program, geffenplayhouse.com (on mobile, desktop and tablet), social media, email newsletters and direct mail. This individual will also provide strategic input as to additional communications avenues into which staff time and other resources may be allocated.
The majority of communications needs surround season productions and associated artists, but a significant amount of content creation is required to address press, special event, fundraising, education and overarching institutional needs and branding. As the initial point of contact for most artists and administrators associated with the theater, this individual must accurately present the organization as the professional, organized and welcoming company that it aims to be for patrons, artists, press and administrative employees alike.
COMMUNICATIONS EDITOR RESPONSIBILITIES
• Gather and generate written content for the in-house program (up to 32 pages per production with at least eight productions each year).
• Communicate with artists, production and administrative staff to identify and produce relevant material for communication to a variety of stakeholder groups: subscribers, single ticket buyers, donors, general interest, board, press, foundation, government and other constituencies.
• Regularly offer relevant and timely material for social media consumption.
• Serve as the on-site liaison between press, publicists and artists to ensure interviews and other appearances have minimal impact on the artistic process.
• Gather and generate a variety of content for monthly email newsletters and other targeted email communications generated on a daily basis.
• Determine how and when to repurpose previous content for distribution through other channels.
• Regularly attend meetings as-requested by other departments (artistic, development, education, administration, production, marketing, sales, communications, front of house and facilities) to support future communications goals through additional content generation and story-identification. Regularly “pitch” story ideas for additional development at these meetings.
COMMUNICATIONS EDITOR QUALIFICATIONS
• Bachelor of Arts degree from an accredited four year college or university.
• Experience in self-producing and editing video, podcast and photo content (samples will be required).
• Two years of experience in social media posting, paid advertising and metrics/reporting. Strategy experience in this field is a plus.
• One year of experience communicating directly with artists and their representatives.
• Superb writing and editing skills (samples and a writing test will be required) in a variety of formats including marketing copy, social media posts and full-length articles.
• Reliable and private transportation for meetings, off-site shoots and for out-of-town artist support.
• Must be a highly organized self-starter with exemplary interpersonal skills and hands-on working style
• Must be able to manage, multi-task and prioritize
• Must have a general love of theater and the arts
• Must be able to work nights and weekends
COMMUNICATIONS EDITOR POSITION TYPE
This is a full-time, exempt position with health benefits. Dental, vision and retirement benefits also offered.
Send resume, cover letter and writing/story samples to Joseph Yoshitomi, Director of Marketing and Communications: Joseph@GeffenPlayhouse.com or 10886 Le Conte Avenue, Los Angeles, CA 90024. No phone or in-person inquiries please.